Rural and Regional Support

Regional University Study Hubs

The Regional University Study Hubs (Regional Hubs, formerly Regional University Centres) program aims to help students in regional and remote areas access and complete higher education without having to leave their community. Students can use the Hubs to study tertiary courses locally delivered by distance (online) from any Australian higher education or vocational education and training provider.

Hubs provide campus-like facilities and support, including study spaces, video conferencing, computer facilities and internet access, as well as academic skills and wellbeing support for tertiary students studying in regional and remote locations.

There are Hubs open in all states and in the Northern Territory. To find a Hub near you, or to find out more information, please visit


Tertiary Access Payment

The Tertiary Access Payment (TAP) is a non-indexed, means-tested payment to school-leavers from regional or remote areas who need to relocate for full-time, higher-level tertiary education (Certificate IV and above) at an education provider located at least 90 minutes by public transport from their family home.

Up to $5000 is available for students from outer regional or remote areas, a payment of $3000 is available to assist students from inner regional areas.

The payment is intended to assist students with the additional costs associated with moving to a different city or town to undertake tertiary study.

Students relocating to study at a university, non-university higher education provider or a vocational education and training provider will apply through Services Australia

For more information, visit the Tertiary Access Payment page.

{[ questions.useful.heading ]}

Thank you for your feedback.

An error occurred while sending your feedback.