Domestic students at an Australian university or non-university higher education provider are required to contribute financially to the cost of their education. These costs will vary as students can be offered either a Commonwealth supported or a fee paying place.

A Commonwealth supported place (CSP) is subsidised by the Australian Government so that students are only required to pay a student contribution towards the cost of their education. A fee paying place is not subsidised and students are required to pay the full tuition fees. Some courses displayed on this website  provide an estimated cost for the first year of study.

The Government administers four Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) loan schemes to assist higher education students with their fees as well as the VET Student Loans program to assist eligible VET students at the diploma and above-level.

  • HECS-HELP is a loan to help eligible Commonwealth supported students pay their student contribution amounts.
  • FEE-HELP is a loan to help eligible fee paying students pay their tuition fees.
  • SA-HELP is a loan that assists eligible students pay for all or part of their student services and amenities fee.
  • OS-HELP is a loan to help eligible Commonwealth supported students pay their overseas study expenses.
  • VET Student Loans is a loan program to help eligible students enrolled in certain higher level vocational education and training courses, at approved institutions, pay their tuition fees (up to capped amounts).

Visit Study Assist for further information on paying for your studies.

To support workers displaced by COVID-19, discounted short courses at universities and private providers are still available in 2022 to help Australians retrain or upskill. Visit the Short Online Courses page for more information on Undergraduate Certificates and Graduate Certificates in fields of national priority.

International students are not eligible for the HELP loans outlined above, they are required to pay the overseas student fees set by their institution. International students can find more information on course fees and scholarships on the Study Australia website.

{[ questions.useful.heading ]}

Thank you for your feedback.

An error occurred while sending your feedback.